A Flower-covered Cake Card (it's a bou-cake!)

May 25, 2022


It's spring (summer here in Texas) and love is in the air. It's my turn on the Poppystamps blog today and I decided I wanted to use Poppystamps Floral Cake Popup Easel dies to make a wedding cake covered in monochromatic flowers, in keeping with the monthly challenge theme of Floral Fantasy. I chose SU's Soft Suede for the chocolate cake and Pink Pirouette for the icing using the Layer Cake Drip Icing dies. Then, I chose three coordinating shades of a reddish-purple: Sweet Sugarplum, Rich Razzleberry, and Blackberry Bliss, and cut out a lot of flowers. It didn't take long as the individual dies have 4-8 flowers on them. Next, I chose Pear Pizazz and Old Olive for the leaves. Again, I made just a few cuts and I had a lot of leaves to choose from.

I did some flower shaping with a Heartfelt Creations flower-shaping tool set I borrowed from my  friend, Julia. This curled the leaves and the flower into either a concave or convex shape and gave me lots of extra dimension. I first glued the pink icing onto the cakes, then adhered the two cakes onto the Crumb Cake background with foam adhesive. I created many of the flowers from 2 die cuts stacked on top of each other to make a flower with 7 or 8 petals. I added leaves as I went, and finished by tucking several of them underneath flowers with just a dot of Bearly Arts glue to hold them in place.



Next, I used Poppystamps Say It Big clear stamp and die set and stamped my sentiment onto a scrap of Sweet Sugarplum cardstock with Versamark, then heat embossed with Ink on 3's Ultra Fine Gold Embossing Powder. I am really loving that stuff. I used the matching die to cut it out. I mounted the sentiment on the bottom cake with foam adhesive. Next I die cut my easel from a pale vanilla Bazzill cardstock I had in my stash. I adhered the attaching flap to the back of the Crumb Cake background about halfway down. I had plenty of flowers and leaves left over so I added a few to the base of the easel to give the cake portion something to lean against.

Lastly, I added Poppystamps Pastel and Autumn themed Fairy Jewels in pink, maroon and purple to the flower centers. This was a time-consuming, paper piecing project but it was a lot of fun. 

Post a Comment