A Tim Holtz St. Patrick's Day Card

March 15, 2023


Like many, I am a huge Tim Holtz fan. I wanted to make a TH themed St. Patrick's Day card using just his products, with the four-leaf clover from the Sizzix Lucky Love Impresslit. I am not a natural at mixed media. I have to experiment, think, study Pinterest, and more, to come up with a mixed media piece I really like. I found a wonderful card by a Finnish artist named Riikka Kovasin here that I loved. Her layout and her use of some of the embellishments inspired me most. 


I started with Canson XL watercolor paper (like an entire sheet as I didn't know what I would want to use from it). I used a piece of acetate with a spritz of Antique Linen Distress Spray Stain on it and "rolled" the spray onto the card, creating a long splotch - ideal as I knew I wanted a slimline card. Next, I used a paintbrush to put down some Shabby Shutters and Forest Moss spray stain on top of that. I splattered some ink off the brush tip also. I used my Stampers Anonymous TH Ledger Script stamps (held in my hand, not on a block) with Vintage Photo Archival Ink to stamp some script images around the watercolor. 


I used a foam blender to lightly dab some Shabby Shutters Distress Ink through the TH Bubble stencil. I used Translucent Distress Texture Paste through the Halftone stencil to add a little shine (which really didn't show up well). I even dotted on some Gilded Foundry Wax on the bottom right to give it some golden shine (also hard to photograph).

For my focal point, I knew I wanted to use the Lucky Love clover. I made several clovers using TH shiny gold Kraft stock, brushed gold cardstock, heavystock covered with Mowed Lawn Distress Oxide, and Peeled Paint Distress Oxide, and finally I recycled an old scrap of watercolor paper that used Peeled Paint Distress Ink smooshed on. I edged this one with Gathered Twigs ink. This last one was what landed on top of a stack of three clovers that I glued together.


I used the Tim Holtz Floral Outline CMS430 stamp heat embossed in white detail powder on a piece of heavy vellum. Then, I turned to the TH Sizzix Stacked Tiles Hexagons thinlits to create these little frames made from Tim Holtz Wallflower Paper Stash by Ideaology. I just love hexagons.

My inspiration piece has this wonderful piece of torn heat embossed vellum just below the focal image and I loved it. I broke out my Tim Holtz Floral Outlines stamps from Stampers Anonymous and stamped with embossing ink then used white detail powder to heat emboss. Like in the inspiration photo I cut and tore the vellum and also added twine behind my focal point.

I added the stickers from Tim Holtz Ideaology Metallic Sticker Book. I used Gilded Foundry Wax to recolor the heart from the Adornments pack by Ideaology and placed it in the center of my clovers. Finally, I added the 17 cut from brown cardstock, like the matted piece below, from the new Sizzix Everyday 2023 release Alphanumeric Bulletin Thinlits. I just love how big and delicate these letters and numbers can be.


Whew, I think that covers it.

I am entering this in a few challenges: Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge
Double Trouble Challenge, (Thing 1 and Thing 2)


 and the 4 Seasons Challenge


7 comments

  1. 💚💚💚 this! Your layers and layout are perfection! Have a crafty weekend!
    Cheers, Makira
    https://mkccreate.home.blog/
    https://colorfuloptions.blogspot.com/
    https://parkhoppingmyhappyplace.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janet, so glad you came back. And WOW, your slimline is awesome... love it all, the colors, the layout, love the variety of materials and inks and embellishments... so filled with lusciousness. Thanks for sharing with us at Double Trouble and don't forget to share your card with our partner for this challenge at Inspiration Station.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janet, such a creative mixed media St Patrick's Day card! Love all the texture and unified palette you chose!! Thank you for sharing your creative talents with us at Double Trouble for our "Pinch Proof" challenge!!! -Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an incredible mixed media card! I love it so much!! All your details go perfectly together. So glad you joined us at Double Trouble and can't wait to see you again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving every element of your mixed media design, Janet! Thank you for joining us at Double Trouble Challenge #133.

    ReplyDelete