Golden Squares with a Stencil Set

March 19, 2023


Simple geometric shapes like circles, squares, triangles and hexagons can be a card maker's best friend. I was thrilled to get my hands on the new Poppystamps' Deco Diamond Stencil Set. It has 3 stencils, each featuring smaller and smaller squares. There are lots of possibilities with how to use this versatile set.


For this card I used Distress Ink in Tumbled Glass and Broken China. I used a blending brush to apply the ink on white cardstock, first with the largest squares and Tumbled Glass. Next, I used the second largest squares and Broken China Distress Ink. At this point, I *should* have gone over my panel with an antistatic powder, but I neglected to. I wanted a punch of gold, so using the smallest squares stencil, I spread Tim Holtz's Translucent Texture Paste over it, removed the stencil and applied gold embossing powder over the top. My powder stuck in a few too many places due to static and I spent several minutes with a small, dry paintbrush, dusting off the excess powder as best I could. Then I heat embossed to get that great, slightly raised gold square all over.



I cut my panel to 3.75" x  5" so I could mat it twice, first onto turquoise blue cardstock, then onto a white cardbase.

Next, I used Poppystamps' Thank You Moonlight Script die to cut the shadow from white cardstock and the words from gold cardstock in Memory Box's Rainbow Reflections 6x6 Mirror Pad.

I wanted to add some foliage, so I used the leaves in the Leafy Vine Corner die set. I used a flower shaping tool to make them curl up some and adhered them to the card, once I had determined my placement. Finally, I attached the words with foam tape.

This was a fun card and I know I will use these same elements again and again. 

1 comment

  1. Lovely card!! I always seem to forget the antistatic powder as well. Thanks for sharing your wonderful ideas!!

    ReplyDelete