Watercolor in a big way

September 9, 2021

I love watercolor a lot, but sometimes it intimidates me. So when I had the idea to simply combine 3 colors (red, orange, purple) in a messy way, I knew it wouldn't be too hard. I used my Zig Clean Color Real Brush Markers in a couple of orange, a couple of red, and a couple of purple shades. Then I used a large Pentel waterbrush, I simply spread the color over some watercolor paper, making sure to avoid mixing blue-purple with orange as I knew that would not blend too well (they are too close to opposites on the color wheel). I kept red in the middle of the other colors. I literally painted with one color a little with the marker, then spread it with the waterbrush. I kept going until I had covered an area about 8" x 3". Then I sent the watercolor paper through my Silhouette and cut the word "wish." Then I cut BIG out and painted it with one shade of purple after it was cut. I overlapped the letters and added pop dots to the w and the s. I added several sequins and called it a day. 




CS: Background is Gina K Pure Luxury Heavyweight 110lb, Watercolor cardstock is Canson XL Cold press

Watercolor markers: Zig Clean Color Real Brush markers in Red, Geranium Red, Wine Red, Carmine Red, Deep Red, Scarlet Red, Orange, Purple, Violet, and Deep Violet

Pentel Waterbrush, largest size

Fonts used in Silhouette: Tondu and Bebas Neue found on DaFont.com.

Sequins from Amazon.com. 

Challenges: CAS Mixup September Watercolour Challenge, Happy Little Stampers Anything Goes with a Die, Happy Little Stampers Watercolor Anything Goes, Color Throwdown 659, Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge: Sparkle & Shine

8 comments

  1. Love those watercolored letters!! Sweet CAS card! So happy you joined us at CTD!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those big overlapped letters! Your watercolor is spectacular and I appreciate the explanation as to how you avoided the muddying. It turned out absolutely fabulous! Thank you so much for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up Watercolor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow..Stunning watercolored BIG WISH cut letters, Janet. Love your Zigs watercolor technique. I thought you had used alcohol inks...TFS your detailed description. So pleased you joined us at CAS Mix Up. Hugs...Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE this amazing card Janet! The colours are gorgeous. I love how they work together to create the most beautiful "wish" die-cut. Thanks for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful watercolor wish, Janet! Such a beautiful mix of colors and no muddying at all! I love how you've overlapped the letters a bit and popped some up. Wonderful dimension as well as color! Thanks so much for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a wonderfully eye-catching card Janet! I love the beautiful colurs on your big bold die cut word!! Thanks so much for joining us at HLS Watercolour Challenge this month! Stay safe! :)

    ReplyDelete