Joy is Not Just for Christmas

June 16, 2023


I just love taking dies that are traditionally meant for one particular season or holiday and repurposing them for something very different. Upon hearing of a young couple I know expecting their first child, I thought about how much joy they must be feeling. That led me to pull out the Poppystamps Stacked Joy die and try it with some pastel colored floral paper from Spellbinders and a sage green cardstock. I was happy with the result. I added some flowers by using the Poppystamps Floral Cake Pop Up Easel die set. This set has a great selection of flowers and leaves. All my leaves and flower centers are from this set, and my bottom flower is from there also. My other two flowers are the Lucky Layered Flowers die set. I colored all the flowers, centers, and leaves with Copic markers.



I wanted a pink glow coming from underneath the JOY and I achieved this by blending some Spun Sugar Distress Ink onto my Neenah Classic Crest 110lb white cardstock with a blending brush from the center outwards. I tried to keep to an oval shape for the ink. I glued this to a pale pink cardbase. Then I added the Flower Field Frame die cut from white cardstock on top of the blended panel. I wanted to pop the word JOY up so I cut it out of white fun foam and glued the paper die cuts to the top. I think the foam stretches out some when it is cut because it's a bit of a struggle to get the paper die cuts to completely cover the foam die cuts. I adhered this to the floral die cut.




Next, I added the leaves directly on top of the white floral die cut with liquid adhesive. Then, I attached the flowers with some foam adhesive. Finally, I stamped Welcome Baby, from Stampin' Up!'s And Many More stamp set and heat embossed it with with Ranger Ultra Fine silver embossing powder. I glued this directly onto the O. 

Do you ever repurpose holiday dies or stamps for something completely different?

2 comments

  1. Janet, this is such a wonderful card! The best cards are made with someone in mind, I believe. Love how you took a very traditional Christmas die and made it fit perfectly for a 'Welcome Baby' card. You inspire me to use my imagination to do the same. TFS!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very glad you like it, Pat, and that I have inspired you. I look forward to seeing what you make.

    ReplyDelete