A Wilderness Hug

October 28, 2021





I've just spent a week hiking in the 2nd largest canyon in the US - Palo Duro Canyon in the Texas Panhandle. The deep, cool plaid paper I used here reminds me of that wilderness. 

I'm on the Poppystamps Blog today with this Hugs card. I just love this Luscious Script Hugs die set. "Hugs" is such a short, but appropriate sentiment for birthdays, get well, cheer up, and sympathy. The set comes with both the word and the offset background die. I wanted to make a slimline card (3.5 x 8.5") and decided on a tailored, masculine look using plaid, gold and navy blue cardstock. I pieced them together to make long mats, hiding the seams behind the word.  More on how I did this below. I decided to soften up the sentiment by using a couple of my favorite dies -- the Floral Cluster and the Orchard leaves. Finally, I added some gold liquid pearls to parts of the flowers and the background. I adhered everything together and attached the panel to a folded piece of beige cardstock as the card base.

Here's how I "stretched" my 6x6" paper. I used a single sheet from the plaid paper pad and cut it in half. I had a little notch in one piece from where the hanger hole was. I had my work cut out for me because I needed a piece that was exactly 3x8" to mat onto the gold piece. I also needed to hide a seam on a diagonal and match the plaids up. First, I took my two 3x6" pieces, overlapped them and taped them together with removable tape, making sure that the notch was going to get cut off or not show behind the die cut. Next, I figured out the angle I wanted the "hugs" at to fit across the card with little to nothing of the die cut hanging off the left and right edges. Then, I made a pencil line and made the cut. The two pieces fit together and made a piece much longer than the 8" I needed.  Finally, I decided I wanted my sentiment to sit about 1/3 of the way from the top, so I cut off a little from the top and bottom of my plaid piece so the seam would land just where I wanted the sentiment to land.

I used the same trick with my navy blue cardstock, but without needing to match a pattern or avoid a notch. However, I made a mistake. I cut all my extra length off of one end of my long navy blue piece, instead of making sure the seam would land in the same spot as it did on the plaid. I was relieved when I was still able to make it work and cover the 2 seams.

Ingredients:

CS: Brushed gold cardstock (unknown), Memory Box Stormy Blue 6x6" Collection SP1006, Memory Box Lush Green 6x6" Collection SP1003

Patterned Paper: Memory Box Woodsy Plaid 6x6" Collection PP1018

Dies: All Poppystamps: Luscious Script Hugs, Floral Cluster, and Orchard Leaves

Embellishment: Ranger Liquid Pearls Brass

Post a Comment