Some Sugared Pastels

November 18, 2021

As much as I enjoy the traditional red, green, silver and gold of Christmas, I get a big kick out of color twists on this festive season. A pastel approach to a Christmas card makes me think of candy and frosting. Add in glitter and I think of sugar cookies. 


I used three dies to create this sugary pastel Christmas card. First, I knew I wanted a shimmery pink background. I randomly watercolored a piece of watercolor paper with two pink ink colors. I added a little splattering. Then I heavily spritzed the paper with a pearlescent glimmer mist. 



After it was dry, I used a snowflake background die to cut out my sugary pink piece. I mounted this on a piece of mint green patterned paper (I love mint green and pale pink together). Next, I used the Merry Christmas die to cut out the sentiment from pale pink glittered cardstock. Then I used a medium-size stitched frame die to cut the frame from white cardstock. I next cut a piece of vellum paper to just a fraction smaller than the frame and glued it to the back of the frame. I adhered my Merry Christmas to the front of this framed vellum. I then put everything together on a folded white card, adhering the vellum frame with skinny foam tape so it wouldn't show. Finally, I adhered the clear droplets to the card with clear liquid glue. I just love how these things look on everything.

Perhaps I'll mail this card to someone with a sweet tooth. 


Ingredients:

CS: Canson XL Watercolor Paper, Neenah Solar White Classic Crest 110, vellum 

Ink: Distress Ink Spun Sugar, Stampin' Up! Sweet Sugarplum, both used as watercolor

Other paper: Patterned is Fancy Pants (2009) Christmas Magic collection On the Tree design, Glitter is Memory Box Delicate Pastels Glitter Pad 6x6

Dies: Merry Christmas Poe Script, Snowflake Background, Scalloped Stitched Frames all by Poppystamps

Embellishments: Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist in Pearl, Fairy Drops Clear by Poppystamps

2 comments