Easter Wishes in the Window

April 4, 2023


I'm loving both Tim Holtz's new Ideaology Backdrops Volume 5 TH94309 and the Alphanumeric Bulletin dies #666281.


For this make, I wanted to do a typographic approach to an Easter make, and the rainbow in the new Ideaology papers made it so much fun to choose decorated pastel pages to cut from. I started with a beautiful dark green floral piece from Backdrops Vol. 5 as my base. I inked the edges with Gathered Twigs Distress Ink. Next, I found this fantastic monochrome catalog cover on a sheet of 12x12 paper in my Wallflower Tim Holtz Paper Stash pad. That was my real jumping off point. I distressed the edges with the Tonic Paper Distresser tool. I wanted more "age," so I daubed some brown distress ink (Ground Espresso I think) through the Tim Holtz Speckles stencil on the corners.

Next, I sorted through the new Ideaology Backdrop papers for a range of pastels with some printing on them. There were SO many choices, but I finally made my selection of papers ,and decided precisely where on the papers I wanted to cut from. I used the awesome new Alphanumeric Bulletin dies to cut EASTER. I also used a brown cardstock to cut the letters, but I only used the outlines. I wanted some depth and support for the letters, so I also cut tan foam with the same letters and glued the letter and the outlines onto it.



I liked the idea of a window with flowers outside. For the greenery, I used both Funky Foliage and Garden Greens to cut some watercolor cardstock that was dipped and dried with Peeled Paint and a little Forest Moss Distress Inks and sprays, as well as some Peeled Paint Distress Oxide Spray. I used watercolor paper colored with Victorian Velvet, Tattered Rose and Spun Sugar inks to cut flowers from Funky Foliage. Because I wanted the flower stems to "land" in just the right place, I decided to first glue my dimensional letters onto an Ideaology Baseboards Window Frame. Then, I actually glued all the flowers and most of the greenery to the back of the window. A few pieces of greenery I glued to the catalog cover paper. I used some particularly thick foam tape strategically placed on the back of the window so everything would be very dimensional when it was glued down. I was thrilled that this worked out so well.

I wanted a sentiment after the word Easter, but I still wanted to preserve the lovely picture of the nest on the catalog page. I finally decided to use the rose gold colored paper from the Tim Holtz Kraftstock in Classic Metallics to cut out WISHES using the Sizzix Alphanumeric Bold #665205. I cut out two additional 'wishes' from Ranger's Tim Holtz Kraft Heavystock and stacked the metallic letters on top, again for dimension. I glued these down onto the catalog cover image. I seriously considered stopping here, but I finally decided to add some velvet trim and a bow (from my stash, but it could be Ideaology) below 'wishes.' The finished piece measures 5.25" x 7.75". I'm very happy with how it turned out.

Happy Easter, everyone!

Post a Comment