Wednesday Challenge: Tim Tag with a Pink Bird

September 9, 2026

 

I was inspired by today’s Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge to use texture and Tim Holtz products. Problem: there are too many choices! From pastes and stencils and Idea-ology to dies and so much else, how do you choose the products you’ll use. I’ve always loved his Silhouette Birds dies and don’t use them as often as I would like, so I started there. I adore his Picture Show die set too and decided to incorporate that.

    Strangely, I worked from the middle out. I took a piece of his Distress Watercolor Paper and stamped with his Ledger Script stamp set with Versamark. I heat embossed using the Lost Shadow Embossing Glaze (excellent when you don’t want the harsh white of using clear powder). Then I dipped and dried the paper using Lost Shadow, Pumice Stone (mostly), and Old Paper Distress Spray Stain. I die cut the “Viewmaster” round slide reel die from this paper. Next, I took some of his Collage Paper - I don’t know what print it is, but it is old and was just a sheet given to me by a friend. I fan-folded it and then trimmed the ends (using no precision at all) and used collage medium to make it stay in a rosette form. Before I glued this to the center of the round slide reel, I dipped piece into a very small amount Forest Moss and Rustic Wilderness Distress ink smushed on a mat and mixed with a lot of water. I knew I was moving toward using some green and I wanted a cohesive color look.

    I die cut the largest tag from the Simon Says Stamp rounded tags die set out of one of his Backdrops. I dipped the edges in some watered down Pumice Stone Distress Spray Stain and then inked the edges in the same color ink. I also glued this tag to an identical one cut from dark brown paper only for stability.

    Next, I took a dark green piece of Tim’s Kraft Stock Stack Cool Paper and dry embossed it with a very old and retired 2D TH embossing folder called Blueprint. I sanded the top of this to reveal the kraft paper. Next, I used the Simon Says Stamp Artful Palette Dies to cut out rounded squares and rectangles. I lightly inked the edges with Pumice Stone ink and adhered them with foam adhesive to the tag, using one of the coordinating templates.

    I glued the round slide reel with the collage paper rosette to the middle of the tag, on top of the kraft pieces. I added a thread nest in dark brown. I glued on 2 previously made die cuts from the retired Holiday Greens die set. I think these are inked with Rustic Wilderness and Crushed Olive Distress ink. I cut a Silhouette Bird from previously inked watercolor paper (this could be Worn Lipstick mixed with a little Candied Apple and flicked with some Gathered Twigs) and lightly inked the edges with Pumice Stone. I glued this on to the greenery pieces.

    Finally, I adhered one of his Idea-ology Clippings to a small piece of his black woodgrain cardstock and glued it to the top of the tag.

    I completed the tag with a piece of wrinkled seam binding I had in my stash.

    I am also entering this into the Little Red Wagon Challenge to use a stamp.

If you shop from the links below. I may receive a small commission at no cost to you. It is much appreciated and helps fund my crafting. Also, any item first marked with an asterisk * was provided by an online store. Otherwise, I bought my supplies. 


1 comment

  1. This is such a gorgeous tag with so many yummy layers Thanks so much for joining us at Little Red Wagon this week!

    ReplyDelete